Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Mom

The worries never end. There is always something to stress or worry about whether its work, family, or health. These days its been health related. My mom who is 78 years young and is a 4 year breast cancer survivor will be having surgery in a few weeks. A couple months ago she bumped herself on her mastectomy side and developed some bruising. Her doctor examined her and said it was just bruising and that it would go away. Well it hasn't. In fact a lump developed. Long story short she had a mammogram done and a cyst was found. The radiologist drained the fluid and said that it was probably fluid build up from the bump and told my mom to return in a couple weeks for a follow up. She returned last week and had to have more fluid drained but the cyst didn't collapse completely so the next step was a biopsy. It came back as atypical papilllary cells. She was referred to her surgeon who performed her mastectomy years ago and was told today that it appears that she has a "complex" cyst that is presenting abnormal cells. The doctor feels strongly that while it may be nothing serious it would be wise to remove it. She did say it was not caused by being bumped but did note that it was kind of a good thing she did bump herself because it alerted her and her doctors that there was something that needed to be checked. The doctor said its not cancer but they need to err on the side of caution and be completely certain. Surgery is in a couple weeks and she will go in as an outpatient. My mother is the strongest woman I know and has had to deal with numerous health issues over the last couple decades. Our faith is strong and solid. But we are human. The fear and worry can creep up at any time and it can wear down the spirit. I know I must remember that God is in control of things and He can see things we cannot. So I pray for wisdom and understanding and hope that these next few weeks come and go quickly as I can't bear to see my mother worry.  If anyone is reading this please keep my precious mother in your prayers. I love her more than words can say and I hate that she has yet another procedure to deal with. She's had so many over the years and it has taken a toll on her emotionally.

No comments: